Thursday, April 14, 2011

Three little ladies

We found out today we were having another little girl coming in September.  Ryan and I went to the ultrasound together and I had really high hopes for a boy.  I love my girls and I love all the frill and flowers and bows and dresses but I was ready for airplanes, tonka trucks, and trains again.  I also wanted the balance of 2 and 2.  During the ultrasound they didn't investigate the gender till the end but as she was doing measurements of her stomach, kidneys and legs we could see the little baby had her legs right close together crossed at the ankles.  When I saw this I said, "This is a modest little girl."  Sure enough it was.  I was shocked and my first thoughts were of Aidan.  I was heartbroken for him.  I knew he wouldn't take the news well and was so sad I couldn't do anything about it.

We found a cute little shirt that says Little Sisters Rock as our way of telling the kids.


We decided to have lunch with the kids at school to tell them.  When we walked in both Lacey's and Aidan's teachers were in the hall and knew we were coming with news.  I knew the kids were excited especially if they had told their teachers all about it.  We sat down to lunch with the kids and they were so anxious to hear.  We made them close their eyes while I pulled the little outfit out.  When they opened they saw pink.  Aidan immediately said, "You are joking"  Lacey just seemed stunned and oblivious to what was happening.  I told her what the shirt said and still not much of a reaction.  Aidan then started to go through my purse in hopes to find some little blue outfit that I was hiding.  Instead he found a bag of Reese's cups.  He said what are these for and I said to soften the blow.  He sat for a minute and I really thought he was going to be okay and then I saw his eyes start to tear up.  I hugged him and tried to console him the best I could.  Poor guy, a life with 3 sisters. 

By the time we left he had pulled himself together.  He was happy about it but he has excepted the news.  Now his new mission is to find the girl a name.  His first suggestion was Lilyana, the name of a cute little girl in his class.  Lacey's first suggestions were Ellanora (the name of two of her favorite friends put together) and Alexa.  It is going to be harder to name this baby with 2 more opinions to work with.

So another surprise turn in our lives.  Three girls and one boy.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I have to say I was completely stunned by this news too. I was so sure you were having a boy. My heart breaks for Aidan because I know that feeling all too well, but at the same time I know how special it is to be the "only one". He is a wonderful big brother. This new little sister is really lucky to have him.

Melinda said...

I was sad for Aidan. I liked what Karen had to say....that it is special to be the ONLY boy and the oldest too.

Becky said...

Congrats!! Poor aidan, but he'll be a great older brother watching out for his adorable sisters!