Monday, October 4, 2010

Lehi's dream


A couple of weeks ago I had heard of a Family Home Evening to reenact Lehi’s dream. I thought it was a great idea and that my kids would love it. So I told them the story and talked about all the symbolism from the dream. A little tough to understand at times but they got the just of it. After we reviewed the story we went into the backyard where Ryan and I set up their own iron rod, tree of life and "fruit".

We tied a ski rope from a tree to the door on our shed to be the iron rod.

The tree the rope was tied to was our Tree of life.
At the base of the tree was our "fruit" or what is delicious to our family, Reese's Peanut butter cups.
So I blindfolded the kids with the "mist of darkness" and first had them grab hold of the rope and walk to the tree and partake of the fruit. They all did that well and loved it.



Then the second time we blindfolded them but didn't lead them to the rope. We just let them wander for a bit. Ryan laughed at them and persuaded them to follow him in all sorts of directions. I then started talking to them and slowly led them to feel where the rope was. Once they felt the rope again they knew where it would lead them and they raced to the tree for another treat.




This is Lacey wondering on her own and of course ran right into the fence nose first. This wasn't so great for teaching purposes right when it happened but later we were able to apply it to the pain of wondering on your own.
We had Ryan and Aidan pulling her in different directions.



Then she was finally led to the rope. We tried to get Cassidy to be blindfolded but she just wanted to run back and forth holding the rope and eat the candy.
The whole lesson turned out so great! They knew how it FELT to live through Lehi's dream. I love that they can talk about holding the rope and why it was important and how SAFE they felt when the rope was in their hand. They KNEW it would lead them to the treat they wanted. And they understood how confusing it was when they didn't have the rope and how it sometimes hurts when you are wondering off on your own. I hope they remember this and that it will help their little testimonies. Ryan and I sure enjoyed teaching them this way.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Love the FHE. Your kids will always remember that. I need to do more things like that.....even with my older kids.

Clint Carter said...

I really like this idea. I wonder if it would work with teenagers.