I went to school today, to middle school to be a substitute teacher. This was my first time subbing and it was for 8th grade pre-algebra and science. What a way to start. I was so nervous. Middle schoolers can be a little intimidating and especially for my first time EVER. As I got to my classroom I just started to laugh out loud. I couldn't believe I was doing this. Then when the students arrived reality set in. The kids were okay overall. I mean they had a sub and they acted like it. I didn't have any major problems though. I just let them know my boundaries and they did pretty good sticking to them. It was so weird to be around them though. I still feel like those days were just a few years ago but then seeing them, I so don't relate anymore. I found myself looking at the teachers and seeing them as my peers. That was weird and just evidence that I AM old. What was weird too is that the same social dynamics that existed for me in 8th grade still exist. There are the same typical groups: popular, flirty, jocks, cheerleaders, nerds etc. You could tell who they were. It made me think back to who those people were to me back then. I just wanted to whisper to some of them that none of this social mumbo jumbo matters. You change when you graduate and you become the real you and most of these people will never know that person. My heart aches for teenagers. It is such a hard time, critical, emotional, and rebellious. Some mistakes seem worth it at the time but are so juvenial and immature in reality. Anyway, I did see some kids from my ward and it was fun to see their puzzled faces as to why I was there. It was a good first day and I think I will just get better. Ryan did a good job playing mommy but at the days end, we were both exhausted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I"m glad you survived. Was it easy? did they have a schedule of what you were supposed to teach the kids? or how do you entertain tweens for a whole HOUR!!!
Scary!! I'm sure you did great. I would have been scared..but it would have been fun to get out of the house.
The garland on your front door is pretty.
Good for you! That is so exciting you are substitute teaching! I bet you were great, and I bet it was fun for you to get out of the house for a day, even though you were working. :)
yes, this is where you look so cute I am glad that it went well for you. I was just hoping that they would make you teach the kids the quadradic equation or something.... Mrs. Gremmert
yes, this is where you look so cute I am glad that it went well for you. I was just hoping that they would make you teach the kids the quadradic equation or something.... Mrs. Gremmert
How much fun!! This post makes me want to sign up for being a sub... Congrats on your first day!
The best part of the whole story was that one of her Beehives told her on Sunday that all the little 8th grade boys were running around saying, "Did you see Mrs. Bell's sub? Well, she's hot." She still has it.
Post a Comment