Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Washing your hands.

Since Aidan has started school he has become obsessed with washing his hands. They have taught him at school that anytime you touch your nose or eyes or someone else's you need to wash your hands. So he has been faithful about sticking to this rule. He tells all of us to wash our hands all the time and is constantly questioning us if we washed our hands after we were in the bathroom or after I have changed a diaper. It has become so annoying. But, two weeks ago his school was closed for 2 days because of a large number of kids being out sick. Did we get the sickness? NO! Why? Because we are washing our hands all the time thanks to Aidan's OCD! I really was grateful though.

So really how do you tell a kid to stop washing their hands? It has been so tricky. I really don't want this to become a problem for him like Howard Hughes or something but really washing your hands is a very good thing. One time we were at the bus stop in the morning waiting and he was playing around with a neighbor boy. The kid accidentally touched Aidan's eye. Aidan insisted he needed to run up to the house and wash his hands because the other kid had touched his eye. I had to explain to him that the germs were on the other kid's hands and not on his. It took a few minutes to calm him down and to convince him he didn't need to wash his hands. Hand sanitizer has been added to his backpack for such emergencies. The other story happened today. We were talking about getting baptized and I was explaining to them what would happen. I said that Daddy would hold them as he lowered them under water and while they were plugging their noses. What was the first thing Aidan said in response? "Then I will have to wash my hands." OH, Aidan seriously!

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

Haha! Teaching 2nd grade, we have to teach hand washing as part of our curriculum and I always have the one or two kids who get a bit paranoid about it. I usually talk about what can happen if we wash our hands TOO much...it seems like it helps, but the thing that usually helps the most is time. :) Good luck! Tell Lacey hi for me!

Melinda said...

I'm chuckling out loud that is so funny.
We've been lucky in the sick department too somehow. Maybe my kids are miraculously washing their hands.

Susan said...

I'm with Aidan. I have really tried to not touch door handles and wash off the grocery cart handle and take my Purel in my purse. I have been more conscience about touching my face. This is going to make ALL of us paranoid!!!
I just love Aidan. He listens carefully and tries to be so obedient...even if he leans to the overkill. He just has a believing heart. What a GREAT blessing.

Clint Carter said...

When I was my hands too much they get all dried and cracked.

Deanna said...

Tell Aiden they put special soap in WITH the water when you are baptized so it will be like he is washing his hands at the same time he is getting baptized. Unless of course he will be getting baptized in a river and not a font in the church, then you're on your own.